Quais du Polar’s professional section
Since 2014, Quais du Polar has created and is developing Polar Connection, a specific segment dedicated to professionals at the heart of the festival.
A dedicated time and space
Friday, April 3rd, professionals will meet for Polar Connection at the Palais de la Bourse!
For the seventh edition of Polar Connection, French and international professionals of the book, cinema, broadcasting, digital and transmedia sectors will meet to celebrate the attractiveness and vitality of crime fiction literature and crime fiction genre. Round-tables, BtoB meetings and friendly encounters will be part of the event!
The first floor of Palais de la Bourse will be dedicated to professionals’ encounters. Professionals will have the opportunity to meet and to exchange:
- around a programme of round-tables, focus, master classes,
- in the Polar Connection Café, an area dedicated to networking and appointments,
- around its “Digital Innovation Corner”,
- during a lunch-buffet and during the Inauguration Ceremony of the Festival,
- in the Grande Librairie-Big Crime Fiction Bookstore around our bookstores’ partners.
Thanks to the professionals’ directory released upstream, professionals will extend their contacts during the Inauguration Ceremony of the Festival on Friday evening and in a dedicated area at the Professional Encounters on Saturday, April 4th.
To subscribe to Polar Connection’s newsletter click here.
Round tables and master class
These encounters and round-tables, are based on four topics:
- Cross-road of International publishers
- Crime fiction and screen
- Let’s talk about profession
- Crime fiction universe and digital
But also :
- The PolarConnection Café will welcome you all day on Friday, April 3rd for your individual appointments, either arranged in advance thanks to the Directory of participants or organised on-site through meetings.
- The Corner des innovations numériques will also welcome you during the 3rd with its innovative projects.
- On Saturday, April 4th, we suggest to accredited professionals to extend their discussions in a dedicated place. A good opportunity to complete their BtoB meetings! An exclusive course to discover the Quais du Polar Festival and its cultural partners will also be proposed.
Find the Polar Connection programme of last year.
The 2020 “Polar en Séries” prize
With SCELF’s support and for the sixth year, the Polar en Séries prize will award a detective novel or a French thriller. Last year, the Polar en Séries judges had decided to honour Racket, Dominique Manotti’s novel, for its specific qualities and its ability of being book turned into TV series.
Find the Polar en Séries booklet from 2019.
The “Polar en Séries” prize was awarded in public on the 29th of March during Polar Connection. Just before the award ceremony, editors of the shortlisted books have had to do a pitch presentation of them. This prize assures to the winning book and to all selected books a certain highlighting. They are presented in a booklet published specifically for Quais du Polar, distributed to all participants of Polar Connection, translated into English for foreigners and then distributed via the various networks partners (to foreign publishers via the Institut Français, to producers via Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes Cinéma, the SCELF and Initiative Film).
The pre-selection committee, composed by members of Quais du Polar, of Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes Cinéma, of Initiative Film, our early partners; screenwriters from the CEEA (Conservatoire Européen des Écritures Audiovisuelles) and students of the CinéFabrique established, beyond more than 60 submissions from publishers, a list of 6 finalists:
- Barbarie 2.0 by Andrea H. Japp (Flammarion)
- Celle qui pleurait sous l’eau by Niko Tackian (Calmann Lévy)
- Félines by Stéphane Servant (Le Rouergue)
- Le Guide mondial des records by Tonino Benacquista et Nicolas Barral (Dargaud)
- Troadec et moi by Anaïs Denet (Denoël)
- SÅNG by Johana Gustawsson (Bragelonne)
The authors exchange on specific issues regarding adaptation. The audiovisual rights managers of the publishing houses are invited to come and talk during these meetings with directors and programmers who will be present on site.
The jury, who will have to determine which one of the 6 final titles would give the best scenario to a TV series, is composed of:
- Michel ABOUCHAHLA, president, Ecran Total
- Joachim DE VASSELOT, programmes advisor, Fictions unit, France 2
- Jimmy DESMARAIS, creative, Netflix
- Gaia GUASTI, screenwriter, co-writer of Apnea (Arte), Séries Mania 2019’s winner of the best French series
- Isabelle HUIGE, programmes manager, Arte
- Dominique MOLL, director of the film Seules les bêtes, adaptation of the novel by Colin Niel, winner of the 2017 Polar en Séries prize
- Véra PELTEKIAN, Fiction project supervisor, responsible for relations with talents, Canal Plus
- Fanny RONDEAU, development manager, Elephant Story
This Polar en Séries prize will be awarded in Lyon during Polar Connection. The finalist titles will be presented in the form of pitches by their publishers before the awarding of the prize to the author.
Accreditations are closed from the time being. We will let you know once you can apply to the 2020 edition.
Accreditation at Polar Connection includes:
- access to the round tables and masterclass on Friday, April 3rd,
- access to the Polar Connection Café professional area;
- the extension à la carte of Saturday (meeting space and special meetings pros);
- access to the Digital Innovation Corner;
- the directory of participants sent upstream of the event;
- the buffet lunch reserved for professionals;
- the invitation to the opening night of the festival;
- the booklet of the “Polar en Series” prize;
- easy access to festival meetings throughout the weekend.
Submitting my POLAR CONNECTION accreditation means that I agree that my contact information can be given to all POLAR CONNECTION participants.
Accreditation withdrawal can be possible at your arrival at the Palais de la Bourse.
Polar Connection is restricted to book industry and video media professionals. Quais du Polar Team reserves the right to refuse submissions that do not fulfil these criteria and will then proceed in the refund.